Pineapple casserole recipe that is sweet and savory with cheese and a streusel topping is a fun dish to serve as a dessert or side dish. If you loved our Pineapple Angel Food Cake this is another fun twist for a fruit treat with canned or fresh tidbits.
Canned pineapple casserole with a savory twist is here! Yes you can cut bits of fresh pineapple as well but in a can is a lot easier and comes with the juice you will need at the same time. You may have had this at a potluck and wondered what was in it to make it so delicious. We’re here to help. (affiliate links present)
Pineapple Cheese Casserole
I know, the combination of the two of these on the surface may not sound good but if you have had it you KNOW the yum of it all. Like seriously you can’t really figure it out, until now!! It is cheese, yes it is friend. I mean you can use any kind you would like but cheddar is where it is at if you ask me. Monterey Jack would be a good combo too.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
I make a lot of Quick and Easy Casseroles around here, period. I guess it started with my Grandmother who had 5 kids with 1 income and nothing could go to waste. Many of us have had points in our lives where we have lived paycheck to paycheck and you get it too. Thus, throwing this from last night and a bit of that on top began……
Dole Pineapple Casserole Recipe
Maybe you have only made a few things with this canned fruit. On top of cottage cheese is a likely one, and possibly a Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Yellow Cake Mix, which we do love too. This one will become a new favorite for y’all too, believe me. I like tidbits for just about everything because it is a good bite size, chunks are a bit too large for me.
Same thing goes with when we are baking a loaf of our zucchini pineapple bread. You want small bits for moisture, flavor and texture but too large can make the overall dish a bit mushy. Same goes for using fresh. Small bites is best. Then you would need a can of juice for liquid.
- 1.5 c pineapple tidbits or crushed pineapple with reserve pineapple juice from the can set aside too
- All purpose flour
- 1/3 c sugar
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Melted butter
- 1 c crackers crushed, like Ritz buttery cracker crumbs are great
Pour everything layered into a prepared casserole dish that has been sprayed so it slides right out. Makes it easier to clean later too.
Dessert Recipe with Pineapple
Of course there are several variations to this Southern pineapple casserole depending on whom is making it. Tends to be a family dish with slightly different pineapple mixtures but the basics are here.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix sugar, flour and pineapple juice in a bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Add canned pineapple pieces to the bowl and stir.
- Pour this mixture into a 9*13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Mix crushed Ritz crackers with melted butter. (any buttered crackers work)
- Spread the crumble topping over the sharp cheddar cheese and place the baking dish in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown on top. Let the pineapple casserole cool slightly, then cut into pieces and serve.
If you buy a larger can of fruit because it was cheaper than the smaller one, I get it. Of course you don’t want to waste that either so I have an idea for you. First I make a drink with 3/4 Sprite, a shot of Malibu, a splash of grenadine and then fill the remainder with pineapple juice.
With the fruit itself use it to make Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake with Cake Mix and oh so good for dessert some night. You use cherry pie filling for the other element of this one with white mix or yellow works too.
Canned Fruit Casserole
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Pineapple Casserole Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix sugar, flour and pineapple juice in a bowl. Stir until smooth. Add canned pineapple pieces to the bowl and stir.
- Pour this mixture into a 9*13 baking dish. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Mix crushed crackers with melted butter. Spread the crumble topping over the cheddar and place the baking dish in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Let the pineapple casserole cool slightly, then cut into pieces and serve.