You are going to love these fluffy mayonnaise rolls for dinner with your favorite main dish. Serving them for breakfast with jam, honey or butter inside is delicious too. Just 4 ingredients and in 10 minutes they’re ready to enjoy. Like our Mayonnaise Biscuits but lighter.
We made these as Slow Cooker Mayonnaise Rolls many years ago. That was a fun experiment but I never baked them another way beyond that until now. One night it dawned on me when I wanted a bread side dish that those were so simple but needed to be done quicker, this worked so well! (affiliate links present)
Mayonnaise Dinner Rolls
The reason you only need so few items to get these done is because of their rolls with self rising flour. As opposed to all purpose you do not need to add additional leavening agents into the mix first which means fewer bowls, mess, and ingredients too. Bonus right??!! Beyond the basics there are variations.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
Just like with our homemade Easy Roll Recipe seasonings are really up to you. Love oregano because it is going to be paired with pasta? Add a pinch of that, or Italian seasonings out of a jar. Old Bay works well if making seafood with them, I mean the options go on and on. Experiment with every batch and see which you love best.
There are a few ways you can tweak this like I said above. I would not add heat personally but you could use half Sriracha Mayo if you did want to do so. The only reason I might consider this if I were making them to serve as slider buns with shredded meat inside. Finger food meals are always a hit if you have kids in the house y’all.
Another option is to bake as is and then spread just a bit of our Mexican Mayonnaise in the middle instead of butter. OMG so good.
You can make this into a whole loaf or mini versions too if you don’t want palm sized rolls. If you want to make this into sandwich bread of sorts just use a larger version. Baking times are as follows for those options; 20-25 for a 9×5″ loaf pan or 15-20 minutes for mini loaf pans which my family loves too.
I haven’t tried this to make this into a Bundtwich but you would definitely need to probably triple it to fill the pan appropriately. Once I try this I will make a note of it. If you do it before I do please leave a comment below so others can try too! 😉
Rolls with Self Rising Flour
I once thought that frozen rolls were the easiest ever to make, but you do need to allow them to defrost ahead of time. Skipping that saves you a good half an hour as is and this way you can incorporate other things like a bit of shredded cheese or basil inside too.
You just need a muffin tin, mayo (not miracle whip, not my preference) and self rising flour (NOT all purpose flour, those are different).
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the 2 cups self-rising flour
- (can add 1 tsp sugar for sweet or 1/4 teaspoon salt / 1/2 tsp diced herbs for savory)
- Pour in the whole milk and mayonnaise, and gently mix until well combined.
- Scoop the batter into the lined muffin cups, filling each liner about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. You do not want to bake too long or they won’t be as light and airy.
- Brush the top of the rolls with melted butter (optional).
Allow the quick and easy mayonnaise rolls to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Mayo Dinner Rolls
Adding seasonings to roll dough can elevate their flavor and turn them into a delicious complement to various dishes. Here are some seasonings you can consider adding to your roll dough:
- Freshly diced or dried herbs can add a burst of flavor. Common choices include rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, parsley, or chives. Finely chop fresh herbs or use dried herbs sparingly, as they have a more concentrated flavor.
- Minced fresh garlic or garlic powder can provide a delightful savory kick. Roasted garlic is another fantastic option for a milder, slightly sweet garlic flavor.
- Minced onions, onion powder, or even onion flakes can infuse your rolls with a mild onion flavor.
- Grated or crumbled cheese, such as cheddar, Parmesan, or Asiago, can add both flavor and texture like in our Savory Breakfast Muffins. Mix the cheese into the dough or sprinkle it on top before baking.
- A pinch of ground spices like paprika, cayenne pepper, or chili powder can add a subtle heat and complexity to your rolls. Be cautious with the quantity, as spices can be quite potent.
- Incorporate seeds like sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or black sesame seeds into your dough or sprinkle them on top for added texture and flavor.
- Grated citrus zest, such as lemon or orange, can provide a refreshing and aromatic twist.
- Freshly cracked black pepper adds a bold and earthy flavor. Consider combining it with herbs or cheese for a well rounded taste.
- For a touch of sweetness and depth of flavor, you can add a drizzle of honey or maple syrup to your dough. This works well with both savory and sweet rolls.
- Chopped nuts like walnuts, pecans, or almonds can enhance the texture and add a delightful nuttiness.
- Chopped dried fruits such as cranberries, apricots, or raisins can lend a sweet and fruity. These are especially lovely in breakfast or sweet roll recipes.
Rolls with Mayonnaise
When adding seasonings to your homemade rolls dough, start with a conservative amount, as it’s easier to add more if needed. Experiment with different combinations to create rolls that complement your specific meal or theme. Remember that the choice of seasoning should harmonize with the overall flavor profile you aim to achieve in your mayo roll recipe. Jump to recipe and get started.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non stick spray. In a bowl, combine the self-rising flour (can add 1 tsp sugar for sweet or 1/4 tsp salt / 1/2 tsp diced herbs for savory)
- Pour in the whole milk and mayonnaise, and gently mix until well combined. Scoop the batter into the lined muffin pan, filling each liner about two-thirds full.
- Mayonnaise Muffins – Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Mayonnaise Loaf – 20-25 for a 9×5" loaf pan or 15-20 minutes for mini loaf pans.
- Brush the top of the rolls with melted butter (optional). Allow the rolls to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.