This gluten free baked donut recipe can be made in the oven or used to make gluten free donut holes in your pressure cooker too! Fun breakfast or dessert.
Let’s just say we’re suckers for doughnuts over here! We’ve baked them, made cake mix donuts, and even made donut holes in our pressure cooker. Using this easy gluten free baked donut recipe you too can create delicious chocolate donuts in the oven or in your Instant Pot…we will show you both!
Gluten free baked donuts
We started making these cake mix donuts on the weekend together and the kids loved decorating them however they liked.
You could make the above recipe as gluten free cake mix donuts using this mix. (you’d just have to check the package of buttermilk at the store and make sure it states that it is in fact gluten free, they aren’t all such but will be listed if so). If you want to make homemade gluten free donuts then we have a recipe for that too….
Are donuts gluten free?
- Typically NO
- You need to substitute gluten free flour in most recipes
- They can be just as delicious though!
How to make donut holes
- Make batter as directed below
- Use an egg mold
- Bake in the oven for approx. 6-8 minutes or until donut holes are done in middle
- or follow the directions for pressure cooker donuts (donut holes)
Gluten Free Chocoalte Donuts
Recipe below shows you how to make donut glaze and how to make donuts from scratch that are gluten free.
- Of course you can just enjoy the chocolate cake doughnut as is but adding a drizzle of glaze made with cocoa and powdered sugar just tops it off with added goodness.
There are a variety of donut toppings you could choose from:
- Crushed peppermint
Gluten Free donut cake
This same recipe could be used but made into a different form instead of round.
- Just use a pretty cake plate
- Stack your gluten free donuts in a tier
- Make sure you load up the pretty toppings so all the way around it’s colorful!
Gluten Free donut glaze
There are many recipes out there, some more complex than others but the one in the recipe card below is all about easy, that is my style.
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder – I like dark chocolate but they have original too
These are one of our favorite gluten free dessert recipes. If you’re looking for a more savory choice for lunch, give our gluten free chicken wings a whirl too.
If you want to try something else here are 5 other donut glaze recipes you can tinker around with and make them just how you like, but for the most part they are all a combination or alteration of these 3 main ingredients. To make an option for other guests at a get together, you can offer up these donut muffins too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Gluten Free Baked Donuts Recipe
- 2 1/4 c gluten free baking flour
- 3/4 c cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 stick butter melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 c powdered sugar for glaze
- 1/4 c cocoa powder for glaze
- 3 tbsp milk for glaze, may use 4
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a donut pan by spraying with nonstick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk together gluten free baking four, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, eggs, milk, and sour cream. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into a piping bag and pipe into donut pan, filling each space around 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake donuts for 12 to 15 minutes or until the donut springs back when touched. Allow the donuts to cool slightly in the pan, then remove them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the donuts are cooling, make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and milk in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients together until smooth then dip each donut in the glaze. Top with sprinkles if desired
Angela S. Nunez
Thursday 14th of February 2019
Thank You So Much for sharing a GF recipe. Hope there’s more to follow.