Homemade easy bake oven recipes are great to save you a bit of money. Easy brownie and cake mixes you can use that taste just as good as store bought!
My youngest daughter begged and pleaded all year for an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas. I had one as a young girl but knew the mixes were the costly part. I found a Girl Scout version on sale mid year and tucked it away to put under the tree. When we shopped for refill mixes I couldn’t believe the prices so we figured out a few easy homemade Easy Bake Oven recipes to use instead. We hope you enjoy them at home with your child too! (originally published 12/16)
Homemade Easy Bake Oven recipes
- There are several versions of the Easy Bake Oven. Quite frankly I think they’re the same except for the mixes that come with the initial box.
This one was the Girl Scout style and came with 1 packet to make cookies and 1 to make a “frosting”. Of course that didn’t last long and she wanted to try other things.
- I have a recipe to use a box of cake mix and how to make 6 cupcakes out of it. We started with that and it worked pretty well. I used a bit of non stick spray first so cleanup was easier. That way so she could cook several in a short amount of time.
- Easy bake oven frosting can be made with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and slowly adding water or milk until it is the consistency you want. We are all about EASY recipes.
The trick is finding the right amount to put in the pan so it doesn’t overflow. Once you make the batter for 6 cupcakes spray the pan and put 2 heaping tbsp. in.
Then put it in the oven for about 10 minutes. I would check at minute 9 and see if it’s good for your taste or you want it a bit dryer and put in for another few minutes.
- We like our treats a bit on the wetter side so 9 minutes was good for us. If you want to make brownies use this brownie in a mug recipe and use the same amount. Be sure to check at minute 7 or so for how done you want them.
Looking for more baking with kids ideas?
- Make our campfire cupcakes together
- Bring out the American Girl dolls and throw a cake decorating party
- Bake a few Girl Scout bundt cakes
- Cupcake sundae bowls are fun too
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉