Best flank steak cast iron recipe on the stovetop you can make to tender melt in your mouth deliciousness. If you loved how to cook flank steak slow cooker style indoors this one too turns out moist with a tasty sauce on the outside.
Our recipe for cast iron flank steak is killer. This is a cut that needs a little extra love to get nice and tender with every bite. If cooked too long you’ll dry it out, not over enough heat won’t become the texture you want. Being able to cut it with the side of a fork and still pink inside is ideal. Let us show you how to do just that. (affiliate links present)
How Long to Cook Flank Steak
The cooking time for flank steak can vary depending on the thickness of the cut, the desired level of doneness, and the cooking method chosen too. Same goes for cast iron skillet chicken breast, the biggest difference being how thick it is.
- Grilling over medium high heat takes about 4-6 minutes per side for medium rare. Adjust the time according to your preferred level of doneness. Keep in mind that this beef cut is best when cooked to medium-rare or medium to avoid it becoming tough and chewy.
- Broiling on a broiler pan takes about the same amount of time, 4-6 minutes per side depending on size.
- Pan-Searing means you would do as we did here to heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of oil and sear for 3-4 minutes per side to brown and lock in the juices. If you wanted it quite rare you could stop here. We finished it off for 5 – 10 minutes in the oven to get to medium.
How to Cook Flank Steak on Stove
We think a cast iron skillet is key. You will ideally want it already seasoned to continue to add to the overall flavor and depth. Allow it to heat up first with a bit of oil inside before adding your protein. All you want is to sear it all over the outside which doesn’t take long.
How to Cook Flank Steak in Cast Iron
There are many choices when it comes to this, or you could skip it. We have a simple combination you can make below. If you have one you swear by then by all means go that direction. OR you can use what you see above that we use as the best fajita marinade but works for larger cuts as well. What we used this go around was;
Flank Steak Marinade
- 2 lb flank steak fresh or defrosted, could use London Broil
- 1/2 c olive oil
- Soy sauce
- 1/4 c red wine vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Minced garlic
- 1 tsp pepper
How to Cook Flank Steak in Pan
Using the stove is a great way to cook beef. Just like how to cook round steak on the stove you can get a nice sear on the outside, and with cast iron can put it into the oven later. With the sauce you marinate it in for a few hours you will discard the excess but some will leach off and into the pan while it cooks as you can see here.
Flank Steak Cast Iron Fajitas
Want to add onions and bell peppers into the mix?? Great idea y’all. I would first cook the meat and in the time it is resting you can then throw in the rest. Use all the juices and gently scrape the stuck on bits off the bottom to coat them. You literally won’t need any seasonings if you do this. There will be plenty of sauce left in there to use.
- You can either use our steak dry rub or marinate skirt steak / flank steak with ingredients below.
- Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and black pepper in a 9×13″ casserole dish.
- Place the steak into the dish flat, turning once.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least two hours to overnight.
- When ready to cook, place a 10 to 12 inch cast-iron skillet over medium high heat until hot.
- Carefully add marinated flank steak and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for a medium rare doneness.
- To cook steak to medium or medium well, preheat your oven to 350°.
- Add pan with steak inside and cook until instant read thermometer reaches the desired temperature to maintain juiciness. What temperature to cook steak depends on personal preference but this cut is ideal at 130 F.
Bake time will be approximately 5 to 15 minutes longer. Remove once temp is what you want, then remove the steak. Allow to rest for 10 minutes prior to slicing thinly on a cutting board against the grain to cut thru connective tissues so it’s tender.
Best way to Cook Flank Steak Indoors
One other way we have cooked this type of meat is using an enclosed countertop appliance. Since I do like some browning the pressure cooker isn’t ideal. Rather use our air fryer flank steak directions if you don’t have a large cast iron pan, or want to try both.
We have also marinated the piece and cooked London Broil for the Slow Cooker with gravy which is pure comfort food.
Y’all, not long. 4 minutes on each side is about all that is needed to achieve a medium rare temp which is ideal for this cut. You want it to remain pink in the center to stay moist, tender, and not dry out. If you want medium cook you can then pop it in your oven for 5-10 minutes.
No, that is not necessary. If you are buying from a reputable store there is no need to rinse beef before cooking or marinating your piece.
Flank steak is very lean and is a cut of meat that comes from the abdominal area of the cow. Specifically, it is cut from the muscle that runs along the underside, between the chest and the hindquarters. This cut of beef is known as the flank region, hence the name.
What to Make with Leftover Flank Steak
I will sometimes chop up what’s left and make carne asada tacos out of the meat that is left over. Further breaks down those muscle fibers, you can toss it with salsa to add to those flavors or use salsa verde. Another favorite is to slice flank steak and go Asian with it to make our air fryer mongolian beef over rice.
Cast Iron Skirt Steak
You are going to want to cut the pieces to fit when layed flat. You don’t need to cook long since it’s quite thin. Heat your skillet to medium high heat, sear first side for about 2 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another 2 to 4 minutes. Timing will depend on how thick your pieces are of course. We have a lot of other steak recipes you can enjoy too
What temperature to cook steak you ask? Well for medium rare steak doneness, cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. Refer to our chart above for other temps.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Flank Steak Cast Iron
- 1 cast iron pan
- Whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and black pepper in a 9×13" casserole dish. Place the steak into the dish flat, turning once. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least two hours to overnight.
- When ready to cook, place a 10 to 12 inch cast-iron skillet over medium high heat until hot. Carefully add the steak and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for a medium rare doneness.
- To cook steak to medium or medium well, preheat your oven to 350°. Add pan with steak inside and cook until the steak reaches the desired internal temperature to maintain juiciness. Ideal is at 130 F.
- Bake time will be approximately 5 to 15 minutes longer. Remove once temp is what you want, then allow to rest for 10 minutes prior to slicing thinly against the grain.