This easy chicken salad sandwich recipe with dill pickles is packed with flavor and our favorite lunch ever. It’s a great picnic recipe and delicious eaten on crackers or made into sandwiches. With a little crunch and put in between two slices of cheese it’s a meal even my kids love. Try it!
It’s summertime which means picnics, BBQs, and potlucks with friends! I have this easy chicken salad sandwich recipe with pickles that is perfect for any occasion. 😉 Sponsored by Sargento®. (originally published 6/16, post may contain affiliate links present)
How to Make Chicken Salad Sandwich
We are outside a lot when summer comes around. Whether we are taking road trips, going on a hike, or going to a park, we are always on the go. That’s when this quick and easy cooked chicken recipe comes in handy.
Best chicken salad sandwich recipe
You can use chicken of any kind, as long as it’s already been cooked. Diced breasts are my go to but chicken thighs would be moist too. If you have shredded chicken to use up this would be a great option as well.
You could use this as a canned chicken salad sandwich recipe too if that’s all you have on hand.
- If we’re going to be gone for a few hours I want to bring something hearty that will stick with us and keep the energy going.
- That’s why I came up with this homemade chicken salad sandwich recipe we all love (yes even the kiddos).
Can you tell what our “secret ingredient” is?? If you love pickles you’re going to go crazy over this one.
How do you make chicken salad?
You only need 4 ingredients to make this chicken salad recipe for sandwiches. Eating low carb? Just omit the bread and make lettuce wraps with this as the filling!
- The toppings (that make it over the top delicious) are
- slices of fresh avocado
- cheese of course in our house (Munster is my favorite)
- fresh baked bread like Squaw is so good
- you could even add dried cranberries
- sliced almonds might be on your list of musts
All of which can be found at your local grocery store, and of course you should add whatever you love!
Since I like EASY I use the breasts off a rotisserie chicken (or cook up 2 chicken breasts), and Sargento® cheese that is already sliced to make it quick to throw together. You can print out the recipe here.
Homemade chicken salad
- Rotisserie chicken – can bake 2 chicken breasts, or use leftover chicken
- Red onion
- some have noted using plain greek yogurt
- I prefer the taste of Best Foods mayo best
- Dill pickles + juice
- Sargento cheese
- Avocado – optional but so good
- a pinch of salt and pepper may be added, I would do so at the end and adjust to your liking
- some like a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Large bowl
Can you freeze homemade chicken salad?
Prepare it as you usual would and then you can pack it into a freezer safe baggie or container. Make sure to remove as much air as possible before closing though.
- Then it can stay in the freezer for up to three months. Defrost it in the refrigerator up to a day before serving.
If you are going on a picnic or to the park there is an easy way to package up this chicken salad and keep it cold. Just use 1 small plastic container and fill it up with your mixture.
Then put it inside a larger plastic container with ice surrounding it. Top both containers and put it into your picnic basket or backpack.
It will be chilled when you get there! Put your package of sliced Sargento® cheese next to this container filled with ice so it keeps your cheese cool too!
The rest of your cheese (if there is any left) can be a snack for later. 😉
Whatever you’re up to, let me know what you think of our easy chicken salad sandwich recipe!
Summertime is a great time to go explore new areas and spend the day outdoors together. If you’re looking for more easy recipes Ralph’s has a few goodies too!
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Chicken Salad Sandwich
Dice your onions and pickles. Pour diced pickles on a paper towel to remove liquid before adding into your bowl.
Cut cooked chicken into bite size pieces. Can use drained cans of precooked chicken as well.
Add everything into a bowl with your mayo and tbsp. of dill pickle juice from your pickle jar.
Mix well. Put on bread or rolls with cheese and avocado too if you like. Great on crackers too or eaten all by itself!
Below is the printable recipe to follow. Of course adjust to your taste levels but this is delicious and one of our favorite 15 minute meals. Nutritional info. such as saturated fat etc are included as well.
Easy Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 2 chicken precooked, can use rotisserie, dice into bite size pieces
- 1/3 red onion diced
- 3/4 c mayonnaise more or less depending on your preference
- 1 whole pickles dill, diced, I make them larger chunks. pour on a paper towel to remove liquid before adding
- 1 pcs cheese 1 slice per sandwich
- 1 tbsp pickle juice optional to thin out mix if desired
- 2 slices bread per person
- 2 slices avocado per person, optional
- Dice your onions and pickles. Pour diced pickles on a paper towel to remove liquid before adding into your bowl.
- Cut cooked chicken into bite size pieces. Add everything into a bowl with your mayo and tbsp. of dill pickle juice from your pickle jar.
- Mix well. Put on bread or rolls with cheese and avocado too if you like. Great on crackers too or eaten all by itself!