It’s Memorial Day and for this day, the 4th of July and any other patriotic celebration it is fun to make red white and blue popsicle treats as well as any other patriotic desserts like rainbow popsicles too for the occasion. Here is how we made these fun patriotic popsicles for the holidays (and there’s a cherry hidden inside too)!
Aren’t these fun!! You can use a few things to make the red white and blue color but we chose to use things we had on hand. For the red we wanted to hide a surprise inside so there’s a maraschino cherry hidden inside the frozen red layer of our red white and blue popsicle recipe. Now that is fun!! Here is how we made them. (affiliate links present, originally published 6/15)
4th of July Popsicles
If it is summertime you might want some festive treats to enjoy. Get your kids in the kitchen to help with this one because it’s a hoot. Adding a sweet cherry inside is a little like a treat they can dig out when they bit into it too.
All you need is a popsicle mold, liquids in these colors like we used here and some imagination. You could use little Dixie cups too if that is all you have with wooden sticks!
Fourth of July Popsicles
You really could use any sort of liquid in these 3 colors that you wanted but we thought our choices worked out well.
- 1 jar maraschino cherries
- 7-up or Sprite
- Blue powerade or Hawaiian punch (we used powerade – less sugar)
- Popsicle mold
For the red we used the cherry juice! We needed the cherries anyway so skip an extra item and use what you have I say. Put 1 cherry into the bottom of your popsicle mold along with enough cherry juice to almost cover it and put it in the freezer for at least an hour.
Longer is better or else if it isn’t totally frozen the red will bleed into the white.
When the red is frozen add some 7-up or Sprite but make sure there is enough room for the stick to go in and NOT touch the “white” layer, then freeze again for at least another hour. Lastly add your Powerade or Hawaiian punch for the blue and freeze. They should slide right out when they are done and they are really yummy (with a surprise inside too).
If you’re looking for more red white and blue desserts check out our patriotic popcorn recipe here.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Red White and Blue Popsicles
- 1 popsicle mold used one with 8 holes and sticks included
- 1 jar maraschino cherries
- 2 c sprite or 7 up, more or less depending on how large your mold is
- 2 c Gatorade or powerade, blue color, more or less depending on mold size
- For the red we used cherry juice as the first layer, Put 1 cherry (without stem) into the bottom of your popsicle mold along with enough cherry juice to almost cover it and put it in the freezer for 2 hours so it is hard.
- Take mold out and pour in 1/3 sprite or 7 up leaving enough space for the last 1/3 of the hole for the blue color. Freeze for 1-2 hours until hard.
- Pour in last blue Gatorade layer and then place plastic popsicle sticks inside and freeze for remaining 1-2 hours or until hard.
- Run popsicle mold under room temp. water, twist handles and pull out of the mold to enjoy.