If you’re looking for a simple 3 ingredient pressure cooker chicken recipe this Instant Pot sweet chicken is it! Just dump everything in and serve with rice for an easy and healthy dinner idea. My kids love this sweet onion chicken recipe using salad dressing as the secret ingredient. Try it!
If you follow The Typical Mom blog at all you know I am all about easy and family friendly recipes. This Instant Pot sweet chicken recipe we made last night fit all those requirements so we thought we’d share it with you today. I have made this catalina salad dressing chicken before but not in my pressure cooker so I thought I’d give it a whirl in there and it came out more delicious than I thought it might. It reminded me of a healthy Instant Pot sweet and sour chicken. Even my husband (who is the pickiest eater in our house) gave it a thumbs up and said it was really delicious! Score. 😉 It is now one of our easiest Instant Pot recipes ever.
Seriously I love dump and go recipes that take less than 30 minutes to make from prep to serving it to my family. I also appreciate a really cheap AND healthy meal option, and this falls into those categories for us too. Early on when I first got my Instant Pot and needed something REALLY easy to try since I was still trying to figure it all out I made this 3 ingredient Hawaiian Instant Pot shredded chicken . It was great…and we’ve made it over and over again since then. Now I am on a quest to create a bunch of easy 3 ingredient pressure cooker dinners to share with you and this is mine for the week….stay tuned for more. 😉
So I shared the “secret” ingredient with you above if you caught it….catalina salad dressing. Seriously. Salad dressing can be used as a great marinade and if you aren’t familiar with this one it is sweet but not super sweet with a bit of tang to it I think. The recipe most people have tried is usually made in the crockpot and similar to this one. Of course I had to adapt it to Instant Pot directions for chicken and I like to tweak things to make it more to my liking by adding an onion to the mix.
I do not like raw onions….at all! BUT adding an onion to dishes (even if you don’t eat them) adds a great overall flavor so don’t be shy if you aren’t an onion lover, just use them for flavor and opt out of adding them to your plate.
This is what you’ll need to make this easy 3 ingredient Instant Pot sweet chicken recipe
- Bottle of Catalina salad dressing
- 2-3 chicken breasts (boneless skinless is best)
- 1 pkg. french onion soup & dip mix
- 1 onion (optional)
Instant Pot Sweet Chicken
- Cut your chicken breasts in half, if they are very large cut them into quarters.
- Slice your onion.
- Spray the inside of your Instant Pot with non stick spray and lay your chicken breasts on the bottom.
- Put pcs. of onion on top of your chicken.
- Whisk your salad dressing and onion soup mix together in a bowl, pour it on top of everything evenly.
- Pour 3/4 c. of water into your salad dressing bottle, put lid on and shake well. Pour this mixture on top of your chicken as well.
- Secure your lid, close your steam valve and set the poultry setting for 15 minutes. (should automatically set to 15 minutes at normal temp when you push this button)
- Do a quick release and serve over white or brown rice with some additional sauce poured over the top.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉