How to cook fresh pumpkin fast and then turn it into the most delicious Instant Pot homemade pumpkin butter in just 20 minutes! Perfect spread for toast and more!
I was given some pumpkins out of a relatives garden the other day and since I hate letting things go to waste I started to think of something I had never made before and I came up with homemade pumpkin butter! It was so much easier to make than I had thought and had wonderful Fall flavors that I am obsessed with. Using our easy pressure cooker pumpkin recipe (link below), a blender and spoon we now have a few jars we can now spread on toast and were so great on pancakes too. Definitely one of our favorite Fall Instant Pot recipes we’ve made recently.
This is what the pumpkin looked like we used for this.
Did you know there are tons of different varieties of pumpkins?
This one is a long pumpkin pie variety that is oblong rather than the traditional shape you’re used to seeing….taste the same though really.
Have you ever made fresh pumpkin puree before? I honestly hadn’t until the other day when I figured I would give it a whirl in my Instant Pot and it was amazingly easy to do and came out ever so tender.
So easy to scoop the insides out, and throw it in my blender to start making homemade pumpkin butter which is way better than store bought because you can adjust how much of cinnamon or nutmeg goes inside.
I prefer a bit of nutmeg but sometimes it is overpowering so I like being in control and making it perfect for us.
It’s great to be able to adjust how sweet it is too……
I had never made Instant Pot pumpkin butter before so it was a bit of an experimentation process until I got it just right.
I think it came out really tasty and the perfect way to bring in those Fall flavors we all love, I am obsessed with everything pumpkin I tell you!!
Here’s how I made it……..
The closest thing I have found to match this spread would be the Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter I have bought in the past…..but it’s so easy to make it’s worth it to do it yourself. 😉
Here’s what you need to make this easy homemade pumpkin butter
- Our easy pressure cooker pumpkin instructions – or use a can of pumpkin puree
- Water or apple cider
- Brown sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice
There are tons of pumpkin butter uses but we love it on toast!
Here’s a printable version of our Fall recipe:
Homemade Pumpkin Butter
- 1 small/med. pumpkin or about 12 oz pumpkin puree
- 1/4-1/3 c water or apple cider, amt. depends on how thick you want it
- 5 tbsp brown sugar heaping
- 3/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/8-1/4 tsp nutmeg depending on how much you like that flavor
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar or more depending on how sweet you want it
- Steam your pumpkin until inside is very tender. We used our Instant Pot, link to those instructions in this post above recipe card.
- Allow to cool and then scoop inside of pumpkin out and into a blender (or use pumpkin puree).
- Add water or apple cider, blend on low until smooth.
- Add all other ingredients into blender and pulse until smooth and well incorporated. Taste and add more sugar if you want it sweeter, blend, taste again etc......
- Enjoy right away and save the rest in mason jars stored in your refrigerator.
- Great on toast or a yummy twist on top of pork chops instead of applesauce!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉