This post brought to you by DeMet’s FLIPZ®. The content and opinions expressed below are that of The Typical Mom.
If you love to travel but have never taken a family road trip before I highly recommend it!! We plan one at least once a year together and look forward to the trip each and every year! It’s such a great adventure and now our kids help choose our next destination now that they’re a bit older. Here’s some tips that have made our family road trips go from ok to awesome!
Family road trip
First thing first, let’s decide where you want to go! We have been on many road trips with our 3 girls and I will tell you that the destination isn’t the only fun part on your trip. “What do you mean,” you may ask. Well, when you go on a family road trip the drive itself and what you see along the way can be fun too if you plan ahead. Once you have a final destination in mind then let your fingers do the walking and find “pit stops” along the way that might be neat while leaving a bit of time to stop for things that you may just happen upon…..like this watermelon farm! Next, make sure you pack comfort items for the car ride and snacks for the long ride too! I don’t know about you but when you’re on vacation it’s all about snacking!! Keeping the kiddos bellies full and smiling is important when you’re headed on a road trip for several hours. I let them choose their favorite drink and snack before we leave to keep them satisfied. FLIPZ® White Fudge Covered Pretzels are a favorite for everyone in the car so we load up on a few different flavors (and I sneak in an extra bag of White Fudge just for me).
Are you ready to take your road trip from ordinary to EXTRAordinary??!! Here’s how we do it (spoiler alert, it includes FLIPZ® Covered Pretzels)! I make a “busy bag” for the trip ahead (1 per person) is a MUST. First, include their own bag of FLIPZ®, a notebook and pen, earbuds / music device, and a book for reading. It will not only keep them occupied but make your drive as a parent must more pleasant. 😉
Then we play games with FLIPZ® as prizes! This guarantees that everyone plays, interacts as a family, and creates memories along the way. Here are our favorite road trip games that your kids will love too:
- I SPY – each person gets a turn finding something inside the car (anything outside will pass by too quickly) that is a particular color. “I spy something blue”, and everyone else in the car gets 3 guesses as to what that might be. Whomever guesses correctly gets to start next. This is fun to pair with a yummy FLIPZ® pretzel as they are “spying” their object. 😉
- ABC road trip scavenger hunt – Use the alphabet and start with an adult first so you can show them how the game is played using the letter A to start, the next person says B and so on. “A is for airplane” (or name something else you see inside or outside the car that begins with that letter in the alphabet).
- Category Craze – One person starts and says any word, like heart for example. The next person can say another word that starts with h (for heart), or another word in the same category like square (both are shapes). The next person can say a word that starts with s (for square) or the same category like box (a box is a square).
- FLIPZ® Road Trip Website has great tips on how to have a fantastic road trip with your family, lots of resources there. 😉
- Printable road trip I spy game – print out this free printable and kids can keep a look out throughout their trip for the things on their list. Either mark them off with a pen or they can push their finger thru the box of the thing they found. Every time they find an item on the list they “win” 1 FLIPZ® Covered Pretzel of their choice (so bring a few flavors to choose from – the Chocolate Mint is amazing), it’s a yummy incentive to keep playing throughout your drive. 😉
Lastly, when you get to your final destination HAVE FUN!! Unplug and enjoy the beauty of your surroundings, and the connection with your kids. If you have never taken a road trip with your family I HIGHLY recommend it, this year we visited 3 National Parks and had a fabulous time exploring. It really doesn’t matter if you know how to plan a road trip well or not, if you forget a few things, or get a bit lost along the way because it’s all about the adventure and the experience from start to finish. Believe me…..even the “bad road trips” we’ve taken include some great memories (and provide a lot of laughter at the dining table years later). Start with a short one and go further and further each year, it’s our favorite times together! Share pictures from your family road trip on Instagram using #ROADTRIPFLIPZ and you could win a fabulous road trip prize bundle… Check out the FLIPZ® Instagram Page to see what others have been up to this summer, we’d love to see your adventures! For more information about this favorite road trip snack of ours, visit FLIPZ® Community on Facebook….happy snacking!