Easy peppermint bark recipe. If you’re wondering how to make peppermint bark this is the easiest way to make this Christmas time no bake dessert with kids!
We love this easy peppermint bark recipe during the holidays. A few years ago we decided to add it to our cookie tins we give away. ….but this year we even made it during the year because it was so good! It can be made with both types of chocolate or just use white chocolate, either way it tastes amazing and is so easy to do. One “secret” ingredient makes the chocolate melt a lot easier in the microwave too, that’s right you don’t even have to use the stove! Tell us what you think! (originally published 11/15)
We love a great Christmas snack during the holidays but with 3 girls I need something that doesn’t take forever, and they will enjoy….so trust me when I say this is super simple and quick clean up too!
Let us show you how we make it, and involve everyone in the process. 😉
Instructions and what you’ll need to make this easy peppermint bark recipe
- Coconut oil – makes melting your chocolate chips a lot easier
- Chocolate chips – we like semi sweet
- White chocolate – white candy melts work better than white chocolate chips melted
- Candy canes – or peppermint candies already smashed
The trick to melting the chocolate perfectly is using a small amount of coconut oil, seriously you’ve got to use this! It makes your chocolate smooth when melted in the microwave so it will be easy to pour and won’t have any chunks in it so it turns out pretty like you see below.
You can make it with just white chocolate or with a small layer of semi-sweet chocolate with thicker layer of white on top (our favorite). I will give you the recipe below to the one with both types of chocolate, but if you prefer just white then just omit the first stage with semi-sweet and it will turn out great too.
You can also make individual servings of this easy peppermint bark recipe by using a muffin pan, muffin wrappers, and dividing the chocolate into the holes.
Chilling in between layers and topping with your peppermint candies they come out really cute and are a great way to gift these too.
Crushing the peppermints is a fun part for kids.
- Put them in a ziploc baggie and let them use a rolling pin to crush them (leave some semi larger pieces just for looks). You can use candy canes too, your choice. About 3 candy canes or 5-6 peppermint pieces will do.
When you’re done with this one you should try our easy peppermint fudge recipe too!
Watch this video showing you how we make peppermint bark
Easy Peppermint Bark Recipe
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups candy melts by Wilton, or white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 5-6 peppermint candies
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips using 1/2 tsp of coconut oil in the microwave.
- Microwave for 1 min on 50% power 2-3 times stirring in between each time.
- Pour on to large pan-plate that has been sprayed with non stick spray, or use muffin liners and put equal amounts of melted brown chocolate chips in each one.
- Put in fridge for about an hour or until stiff.
- Melt white chocolate chips-Wilton white candy melts with 1/2 tsp. coconut oil in 30 sec. increments again at 50% power about 2-3 times or until it is smooth and melted.
- Pour on top of hardened semi-sweet chocolate layer.
- Crush peppermints in a baggie and sprinkle on top white chocolate layer. Put in fridge for about 2 hours or until fully set and hard. Break apart large piece on your plate or unwrap muffin wrappers and put on a plate to serve.
Peppermint bark is a super easy recipe for this holiday season that everyone loves and is inexpensive to do!
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉