This is the best easy peppermint bark recipe. If you’re wondering how to make chocolate peppermint bark in the microwave, here’s how! Great Christmas no bake dessert.
We love this easy peppermint bark recipe during the holidays. A few years ago we decided to add it to our cookie tins we give away. This year we even made it during the year because it was so good! (originally published 11/15, affiliate links present)
This can be made with both types of milk chocolate and white chocolate, or just one. Ether way it tastes amazing and is so easy to do. NO double boiler was used, instead you just need 2 microwave safe bowls!
Chocolate Peppermint Bark
One “secret” ingredient makes the chocolate melt a lot easier in the microwave too, that’s right you don’t even have to use the stove! Tell us what you think!
We love a great Christmas snack during the holidays but with 3 girls I need something that doesn’t take forever, and they will enjoy. Trust me when I say this is super simple and quick clean up too!
Let us show you how we make it, and involve everyone in the process. 😉
- Coconut oil – makes melting your chocolate chips a lot easier
- Chocolate chips – we like semi sweet, milk or dark chocolate could be used
- White chocolate – white candy melts work better than white chocolate chips melted
- Candy canes – or peppermint candies already smashed
- 2 heatproof bowls that can be put into the microwave
- or just use paper bowls instead for easier clean up
The trick to melting the chocolate perfectly is using a small amount of coconut oil, seriously you’ve got to use this!
It makes your chocolate smooth when melted in the microwave so it will be easy to pour and won’t have any chunks in it so it turns out pretty like you see below.
You can make it with just white chocolate or with a small layer of semi-sweet chocolate with thicker layer of white on top (our favorite).
I will give you the recipe below to the one with both types of chocolate, but if you prefer just white then just omit the first stage with semi-sweet and it will turn out great too.
- These small paper plates are easy to use but parchment paper lined baking sheet would work too.
You can also make individual servings of this easy peppermint bark recipe by using a muffin pan, muffin wrappers, and dividing the chocolate into the holes.
Chilling in between layers and topping with your peppermint candies they come out really cute and are a great way to gift these too.
Peppermint Bark Recipe Easy
Crushing the peppermints is a fun part for kids.
- Put them in a ziploc baggie and let them use a rolling pin to crush them (leave some semi larger pieces just for looks).
- You can use candy canes too, your choice. About 3 candy canes or 5-6 peppermint pieces will do.
Watch this video showing you how we make peppermint bark
Here is a brief step by step but there’s a printable version in the recipe card below too.
Time needed: 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Chocolate Peppermint Bark
First you need to melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips using 1/2 tsp of coconut oil in a bowl in the microwave.
Microwave for 1 min on 50% power 2-3 times stirring in between each time.
Pour this on to large pan-plate that has been sprayed with non stick spray, or use muffin liners and put equal amounts of melted brown chocolate chips in each one.
Put this in the fridge for about an hour or until stiff.
Melt white chocolate chips-Wilton white candy melts with 1/2 tsp. coconut oil in 30 sec. increments again at 50% power about 2-3 times or until it is smooth and melted.
Pour chocolate mixture on top of hardened semi-sweet chocolate layer. Crush candy canes in a baggie and sprinkle on top white chocolate layer.
Put in fridge for about 2 hours or until fully set and hard. Break bark into pieces on your plate or unwrap muffin wrappers and put on a plate to serve.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
If instead of using crushed peppermint candy you’d rather use peppermint extract you could. I would add just a tad into your white chocolate mixture.
How to Make Peppermint Bark
Easy Peppermint Bark Recipe
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips using 1/2 tsp of coconut oil in the microwave.
- Microwave for 1 min on 50% power 2-3 times stirring in between each time.
- Pour on to large pan-plate that has been sprayed with non stick spray, or use muffin liners and put equal amounts of melted brown chocolate chips in each one.
- Put in fridge for about an hour or until stiff.
- Melt white chocolate chips-Wilton white candy melts with 1/2 tsp. coconut oil in 30 sec. increments again at 50% power about 2-3 times or until it is smooth and melted.
- Pour on top of hardened semi-sweet chocolate layer.
- Crush peppermints in a baggie and sprinkle on top white chocolate layer. Put in fridge for about 2 hours or until fully set and hard. Break apart large piece on your plate or unwrap muffin wrappers and put on a plate to serve.
Peppermint bark is a super easy recipe for this holiday season that everyone loves and is inexpensive to do!